Friday, March 06, 2009

Notions and Trim Results

At last, a round up of the February Recession Challenge results.

Carla spiced up a thrift store sweater with a sprinkling of buttons on each shoulder.

Kimberly created her own version of a pair of $130 embellished flats she spotted in Lucky Magazine. Can I place an order for my own pair, Kimberly?

Deborah-lee described her efforts as “dodgy,” but I thought her creation was the very essence of the “make do and mend;” she transformed a wardrobe orphan into a star.

Vildy sent me this photo of her answer to the challenge. Of her creation, she says: “I went the other direction and de-punked something. Took a herringbone jacket from Walmart that had huge round herringbone buttons and silver metal snaps that showed when it was open and replaced the button with matte faux leather ones from my stash and covered the snaps with a bit of black silk from the stash. I bought some black passamenterie braid that I applied to the neckline, the sleeves above the ruffle end and am in the process of adding it to the pocket openings and thus, ladyified the whole thing.”

RiAnge Creations personalized three, basic jackets from Target. She says that she doesn’t “care for plain and ultra-conservative.” Her newly embellished jackets are anything but.

A few readers left details of prior projects. Sheila has “added fringe to a jacket and lace to a dress.” DawnB has “added lace to the edge of a white jean jacket b/c I had to shorten the sleeves.”

And I basted pom-pom trim around the waist of a jacket. (I still have a stash of skull buttons to stick on something!)

Thank you for sharing your creations with us.

No comments: